Harbors, Anchorages, Islands & More!
The first thing people notice when arriving in Northern Michigan is the clear, teal and blue Caribbean-esque water. Navigation is very easy due to lack of tides and water depths exceed 700 feet in some areas.
Michigan boasts more coastline than any of the lower 48 states and our cruising area offers the best of what this freshwater paradise offers.
Within our sailing grounds are 45 anchorages, harbor towns and marinas available to cruisers.
The locals are friendly and welcoming. Harbor Masters have been known to loan the marina car out to cruisers looking for supplies. Sailors feel welcome and are treated like family.
- World class vineyards and wine tasting within walking distance from most every port
- Deep, crystal clear bays
- National Park coastlines and islands allowing for stretches of beaches that go on for miles
- Large sand dunes towering out of Lake Michigan
- Great marinas in most every waterfront town
- Quaint, relaxing harbor towns
- Top-rated golf courses
- Award-winning micro-breweries
- Shipwreck diving
- SAIL Magazine - "Sailing Michigan's Grand Traverse Bay"
- Sailing Magazine - "Freshwater Delights"
- Cruising World - "Unsalted Island Hopping in the Great Lakes"
- Cruising World - "Four Easy Trips: Great Lakes / Northern Michigan"
- Lakeland Boating - "American Beauty"
- MyNorth - "Four Days on Grand Traverse Bay"
- Sailing Magazine - "Sweet Sailing on Sweet Water"
Please note: Great Lakes Sailing Co. was formerly Bay Breeze Yacht Charters, as mentioned in the above articles.
Some of our favorites include:
- Power Island
- Old Mission Harbor
- Downtown Traverse City
- Ingalls Bay
- Bowers Harbor
- Sutton Bay
- Omena Bay
- Manitou Islands National Park
- Harbor Springs
Did you know?
You can fit the US & British Virgin Island (minus St. Croix) into our sailing area?!
Our sailing school and charter fleet is located at the CenterPointe Marina - with access to sail Grand Traverse Bay, Little Traverse Bay, the Manitou Islands, Sleeping Bear Dune National Lakeshore, Beaver Island and as far north as Mackinac Island if time allows. Sailors can experience towering sand dunes, deserted islands, quaint harbor towns, long stretches of beaches, quiet coves and local festivals.
The CenterPointe Marina is a private marina offering a quiet atmosphere and first rate facilities including a boater lounge, private shower rooms and washer/dryer. Major grocery is just down the road, several good restaurants are within walking distance and downtown Traverse City is about a mile away.