Great Lakes Sailing Co. (formerly Bay Breeze) works with several non-profit sailing organizations to send disadvantaged kids to sailing camps. A portion of all sailing school student fees go towards scholarships so that these kids can experience the joy of sailing!
- Download the new ASA iPhone App! – designed for new sailors and old salts alike.
- Private Instruction & Group Courses - Book 4 spots in any class listed below and you’ll have private instruction with 10% off the regular rate.
- Learn on Your Own Boat – If you want to learn on you own boat in your own homeport.
Click on the course header for detailed requirements of each course
ASA 101 Basic Sailing
- A two-day course designed to give you the basic sailing experience with plenty of sailing time as well as on-board instruction and orientation while dockside. This ASA certification course will provide the necessary knowledge and skills to sail small fixed keel sailboat in light to moderate conditions. Sail theory, safety, tying knots and terminology are just part of what you will learn. The ASA certification test is taken at the end of the 2nd day. This course includes the ASA Sailing Fundamentals text book and ASA log book. This course alone will not certify you to charter the boat you train on but will give you basic sailing experience.
- 9am-5pm each day, for a total of 16 hours of instruction.
- $475.00 per student includes ASA 101 certification. 2 students required to schedule a class. If it’s just you, let us know and we’ll try to pair you up with other students.
- $1695 for private instruction – up to 4 students, on your own boat with instructor, ASA certifications, staying aboard in the marina is also available.
ASA 103 Basic Coastal Cruising
- 2-Days – Spring and Fall only
- For graduates of the 101 course or for those that have sailing experience and are willing to test into this course. The 103 course spends more time focusing on developing the skills for independent, short range cruising. More emphasis is put on docking and harbor handling, anchoring, heavy weather tactics, terminology and dives deeper into the topics covered in the 101. Approximately 10-14 hours of instruction on the water.
- Scheduled as a private course only or by combining with the 104 (see below). Call for private course pricing or see below for 103/104 combo course details.
ASA 101 & 103 Combo Course
- Great Lakes Sailing Co. bareboat qualification up to 32’
- 4- Days live-aboard option – limited space for live-aboard, call office to reserve your space!
- Our best selling course! Taught on a 30’ cruising sailboat, this course is designed to give you confidence. You will learn everything mentioned in the above courses but in a consistent 4-day format. Anchoring, expanded terminology, heavy weather tactics, harbor handling and docking, person-overboard recovery, general seamanship and weather is only part of the program. You will also be exposed to a wide variety of gear and hardware found on sail vessels designed for more than just day-sailing. Students are welcome to stay aboard each night at no additional cost but space is limited, stay aboards must be reserved! At the end of each day around 5pm you will be back dockside in our marina and free to browse the beautiful town of Traverse City. Make it a learning vacation you will always remember. This course includes the ASA Sailing Fundamentals text book and ASA log book. Classes held every Saturday through Tuesday, 9am-5pm, mid May through September.
- $845.00 per student includes ASA 101/103 certification: discounts for groups
Cruise on your own in protected waters
- 3-Day charter on your own (no instructor)
- After successful completion of the Bareboat Level 1 (ASA 101/103), this popular option allows you to take the boat you learned on (or similar model) for a 3-day cruising experience. Practice skills you just learned and harbor-hop on to Suttons Bay, Northport or Elk Rapids. Or anchor out at nearby Power Island Nature Preserve. The boat is yours and the destinations are many. Our boats have many live-aboard amenities such as propane stoves, refrigeration, holding tank head and hot showers. The boat sleeps 5-6 so you can invite your family and friends along.
- These prices are for the entire boat for 3 days – that’s not per person; that’s for your own private boat!
- $895 for the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday immediately following your 101/103 course or after Labor Day
- $995 for any Wednesday, Thursday and Friday Memorial Day thru Labor Day if not immediately after your course
- Regular pricing may apply if you cannot sail Wednesday thru Friday.
ASA 103/104 Combo Course
- Great Lakes Sailing bareboat qualification up to 36’ / ASA bareboat up to 50’
- 5 day course
- This course is designed to turn the ASA 101 graduate into a comfortable coastal cruiser. Focusing on “life aboard”, this course will familiarize you with the systems of a cruising yacht. The fresh water system, fuel system, battery charging system, steering and rigging are covered to name a few. Each student is also given ample time at the wheel in close quarters to improve harbor handling skills. Heavy weather sailing skills also covered in this class to assure that the graduate will be comfortable in most coastal cruising situations on a yacht in the 36′ range.
- 5-day course $1295 per student includes all class materials and ASA 103/104 certifications. Discounts for groups of 4 or more for private instruction.
ASA 101/103/104 Combo Course
- Great Lakes Sailing bareboat qualification up to 36’ / ASA bareboat up to 50’
- 7 day course
- The 7 day course is for those just starting out or for those who would like to fine tune their sailing skills. No prerequisites are necessary. Starts out with 4 days on a 32’ monohull sailboat and finishes with 3 days on a 38’-40′ monohull sailboat.
- This course starts out with basic sail theory and tactics (same as the Basic Sailing & Basic Cruising Combo above) and evolves into cruise planning, mechanical and electrical systems, advanced anchoring techniques, more in-depth navigation, heavy weather tactics as well as the live aboard experience. This is the course to prepare you for that bareboat charter on a larger monohull or for further your cruising knowledge on your own boat.
- 7-Day Course $1475 per student and includes ASA 101/103/104 certifications. Discounts for groups of 4 or more and for private instruction.
ASA 104 Bareboat Certification
- Bareboat up to 36’
- 3 day course
- The 3 day course is for those that have completed 101 & 103 or for those with a good sailing background and are competent with the standards posted in the 101 and 103 courses.
- This course covers cruise planning, mechanical and electrical systems, advanced anchoring techniques, more in-depth navigation, heavy weather tactics as well as the live aboard experience. This is the course to prepare you for that bareboat charter in the Caribbean or for further cruising on your own boat.
- 3-Day Course $795.00 per student (prerequisites 101/103 or test out required for 104 certification). Discounts for non-certification or groups of 4 or more and for private instruction.
Independent near-coastal cruising on your own after successful completion of ASA 104
- minimum 2-Day charter on your own (no instructor) on a 39′ O’Day sailboat
- After successful completion of the Bareboat Level 1 (ASA 104 level), this option lets you practice skills you just learned and harbor-hop on to Suttons Bay, Northport, Charlevoix or many other harbor towns. Or anchor out at nearby Power Island Nature Preserve. The boat is yours and the destinations are many. Our boats have many live-aboard amenities such as propane stoves, refrigeration, holding tank head and hot showers. The boat sleeps 6-7 so you can invite your family and friends along.
- These prices are for the entire boat days – that’s not per person; that’s for your own private boat!
- $450 per day (2 day minimum) immediately following your 104 course or after Labor Day
ASA 104 Intermediate Cruising & 114 Catamaran Combo
- Taught on a twin engine Legacy 35 catamaran
- 5day course
- A fantastic transitional course to seamlessly take a sailor from monohull to catamaran. For those that have completed 101 & 103 or for those with a good sailing background and are competent with the standards posted in the 101 and 103 courses.
- Taught entirely on a cruising catamaran, the cruising portion of this course (ASA 104) covers cruise planning, mechanical and electrical systems, advanced anchoring techniques, more in-depth navigation, heavy weather tactics as well as the live aboard experience. The Catamaran portion of this course (ASA 114) covers docking and harbor handling in a wide, twin engine cat, tacking, jibing, sailing tactics and other aspects that make a catamaran different from a monohull. This is the course to prepare you for that bareboat charter in the Caribbean or for further cruising on your own boat.
- Contact us for per student pricing.
- $3975 is the private boat rate and includes private boat, linens, instructor, books and certifications for up to 4 students. Additional students may be added for private courses.
- Prerequisites are 101 and 103 or equivalent experience.
ASA 114 Cruising Catamarans
- 2-day course taught on a twin-engine Legacy 35 catamaran.
- Teaches the sailing and harbor handling characteristics that are unique to a catamaran.
- This course is perfect for those who are looking to charter a catamaran or are trying to determine if a catamaran is right for them
- Master Stateroom Rate – $1125 per couple for the spacious forward master cabin.
- Guest Stateroom Rate – $995 per couple for the double stateroom aft.
- Crew Stateroom Rate – $495 for single occupancy of the forward crew stateroom, linens included.
- Non Stay-Aboard Rate – $695 per couple ($395 for single) for the 2 days of instruction without staying aboard the boat.
- Private stay-aboard course – $1595 for the entire boat, up to 4 students. $195 each additional student.
- Optional ASA 114 Certification – $95 per person for ASA Catamaran 114 level certification (optional) for those with the proper ASA prerequisites.
- Offered anytime immediately after the Catamaran Course. This is special discounted, minimum 3-day cruise on a Legacy 35 catamaran and is designed to get you familiar with life aboard a cruising catamaran (no instructor).
- $625 per day with a 3 day minimum after the 2-day 114 course.
- $550 per day with no minimum after the 5 day 104/114 course.
ASA 104 & 105 Bareboat & Coastal Navigation
- Great Lakes Sailing bareboat qualification up to 39’/ ASA bareboat up to 50’
- 7-Day live aboard cruise
- Combines Bareboat Levels 2 and Coastal Navigation courses.
- At least 10 hours of home-study is required to prep for Coastal Navigation. You will receive text books, practice charts and a study guide to further prepare you for the course. You’ll visit quaint harbor towns and scenic anchorages plus hone your skills for live-aboard cruising and navigation.
- $1475.00 per student (101 /103 prerequisite). Discounts for non-certification and for groups of 4 or more or private instruction
ASA 106 Advanced Coastal Cruising
- Great Lakes Sailing bareboat qualification up to 45’ / ASA up to 50’
- 7-Days live aboard cruise
- Hone all the skills learned in prior classes and add in new experiences including night navigation under sail, up to 100 mile non-stop passages, vessel systems troubleshooting, engineering and much more. Class is aboard a 35-45 foot cruising monohull and includes Chapman’s Seamanship & Piloting, parallel rules, dividers and support material.
- $1475.00 per student (prerequisites 101/103/104/105 or test out required). Discounts for non-certification or for groups of 4 or more or private instruction.
- Special rates for this course during our “Unsalted Events” – see course dates or events web pages
- Wednesday June 25 – Tuesday July 1, 2014
- 2 Student minimum
- 4 Spots available
- $1700 per student, book private for $6000
- Fee includes course materials, certification (must be ASA 104 Certified) and transportation back to TC from Chicago.
- Itinerary totally weather dependent
- Small boat (Olsen 30), spartan accommodations, great experience!
ASA 105 Coastal Navigation Certification optional
- A comprehensive and in-depth study of navigation designed to fit most skill levels from beginners to experienced navigators looking for a refresher. In fact, more than a few “old salts” commented on how much they didn’t know after taking this course! You’ll receive the Coastal Navigation text book, CD guide, nautical chart, study aids, practice worksheets and customized study guidelines.
- Students will become proficient in the use of navigational aids, chart reading, use of navigational tools, determining courses, taking bearings, plotting fixes, variation & deviation, dead reckoning, use of tide & current tables and more.
- Cost is $179 includes for materials mentioned above.
- For ASA testing and certification – $250 for one student, $175 per student if two or more test.